PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

gps routing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: gps routing   7/10/2010, 9:08 pm

does anyone know of a easy way to rout on google earth or map quest then transfer to a map source program to download to your gps. i have heard of a web site that will do this. and with map source, is there a way to mark a course out with out haveing to put a dot on the road were you want to go at every turn. can you just put in a point "a" to point "b" and have it make a rout on its own. the only way i can do it is by putting a point in at every road, turn, intersection, ect. and then it connects the dots with straight lines that doesnt follow the road. seems there should be a way ?
Back to top Go down
TheFlying"W"

Bike : '03 WR450F, 2009 Vmax

PostSubject: Re: gps routing   7/10/2010, 11:23 pm

The dot at intersections is the way I do my routes as well. The issue I have found is that MapQuest either defaults to the nearest major paved road, or just draws a straight line between the start and finish points. I am still learning however, and if I find another way to do it, I'll let you know. Till then, you know as much as I do.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: gps routing   7/11/2010, 10:19 am

i will also let you know if i find a better way.
Back to top Go down
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: gps routing   7/11/2010, 4:03 pm

roll chart for the MFW. LOL

*I finally figured out google. Can only have like 25 points on it. Also does cumulative mileage, great for roll charts. Now I just need to by a good holder and mount.
Back to top Go down
TheFlying"W"

Bike : '03 WR450F, 2009 Vmax

PostSubject: Re: gps routing   7/12/2010, 12:42 am

That's how I used to do it! The first long ride on my road bike, I made a chart that had direction of turn, at what mile marker, and stuffed it in the top of my tank bag. It worked well, never got lost. They have nice roll chart holders here in town for about $35. If you can't find them your way, let me know.
Back to top Go down
xplorz

PostSubject: Re: gps routing   8/5/2010, 12:34 pm

Here is what is working for me. I make my route in Google Maps in the standard way. Then I run a freeware/donationware utility that rips GPX code from the Google Map. I save that file and then run it through a freeware/donationware converter program called GPS Babel. GPS Babel should be able to output the native format for your GPS as waypoints, tracks or trails. On my Lowrance GPS this works fantastic as I can save the tracks to my memory card and upload into the GPS memory. The track will look just the same as viewing it in Google Maps. I will then ste the GPS to record an actual track as I'm riding and I set the colors between the uploaded and actual track to be different so I can easily see where I've been VS where I intended to go.

Set this utility up as it says in the instructions.

You can download GPS Babel here.

GPX in kind of the new universal GPS language. Once you have your track in that format, you can share it across different GPS platforms, ie, Garmin, Magellen, Lowrance, etc. It generally takes only a few minutes per track once you know how to do it. GPS Babel can also convert KML files to your GPS's native language.

My wife and I recently did a 2200 mile ride and I did a track for each day. In the mornings before we left I would erase the prior days track and load in the new days track. This worked very well for my directionally challenged wife and she worried much less about getting separated. Follow the track to the night's motel...
Back to top Go down
Got2Moto

Bike : F650

PostSubject: Re: gps routing   10/12/2010, 3:01 am

Not a harley guy yet, But I do like the planner they have set up.
Just be sure you ok any pop-up's first on your browser or you'll
have to do the route all over again. It's kind of buggy that way.

What I do, Is first register and sign in. I've never gotton any spam from them
ever.

Then do a quickie sample map and click save.Just to bring up the browser warning
thing.
click ok pop ups.
It's just to enable the saving process.

then do your real planner route and click save " To" ( direct to gps or hard drive) and etc. ect.

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/ridePlanner.jsp

Much better than any other I've tried.
I have a Nuvi 500 which is ugly about downloaded routes and I've had no problems with it
using this site.
Russ
Back to top Go down
http://Got2MotoGraphics.Com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: gps routing   

Back to top Go down

gps routing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PNWDS - PNWDualSport :: Ride Related :: GPS-