PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Questions about KTM 640 ADV

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ramtime

PostSubject: Questions about KTM 640 ADV   6/20/2010, 9:56 pm

I'm in the market for a bike and I've been searching CL's religiously for the last couple of months. I thought I had settled on a XR650L but after finding this add in Portland now I'm considering a KTM. I don't know much about them and was hoping for some good insight.

The bike: 2000 KTM Adventurer for $2500

These bikes have an electronic odometer which this bike has had 4 so
milage is and estimate, between 25,000 to 30,000 miles. The bike has a
new seat and plastic. I have put a Tourtech dash on the bike, I have the
original. It has HID head lights. the only issue that I am aware of is
the the dashwarning lights are not working, everything isle is fine to
teh best of my knowlage.

This is all I know about the bike so far. What are your thoughts. How many miles until you have to worry about rebuilding the motor. I know this will vary on how it's been treated. Also how much will a rebuild cost?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: Questions about KTM 640 ADV   6/20/2010, 10:33 pm

Bikez

The Bible

Do your homework so you are informed and good luck. I'd bet a buck that motor has been gone through at least one time or is ready to go through a second time. Keep in mind you can get a LOT of bike right now, ready to ride for your price point vs. a money pit.

(Man, do I really keep shit this long!?) I still think the blue adventures are one of the best looking bikes ever made.

crud - there's another one Horizon Bible II

or was it this one Mebbe this one?

What is a adventure anyway? Nah, I never seen one of those before - he he I better go to bed before I get into trouble
Back to top Go down
dhally

Bike : WR250R, Sherco 300i

PostSubject: Re: Questions about KTM 640 ADV   6/26/2010, 1:49 pm

There is a lot of information about the 640 ADV and how long it will last on advrider.com. From memory, the motor will last a long time. Minor rebuilds such as cam bearings, starter, etc may be needed but unless there is a defect or incident the major rebuild could be at 50-70,000 miles.

Also be aware that the LC4 KTM seems to require more maintenance and repairs than a Jap bike. I really like riding mine and it has never stranded me. It really gets down the (dirt) road with the re-valved suspension. But I have to work on it frequently, at some expense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions about KTM 640 ADV   

Back to top Go down

Questions about KTM 640 ADV
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PNWDS - PNWDualSport :: Main :: General Bike Discussion-
Jump to: