PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Room for 3 more

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ttrider

PostSubject: Room for 3 more   10/28/2012, 9:56 pm

Room for three more riders for next summers ride. 2600 mile dual sport ride, probably a July start. Likely about a 2 week trip. Sea level to 12,000 feet in elevation. Interested people step forward for more info.
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

PostSubject: Re: Room for 3 more   10/29/2012, 1:56 pm

lots of information here... Rolling Eyes

where to and from, what kind of riding, who is going, etc etc... who are you
Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
ttrider

PostSubject: Re: Room for 3 more   10/29/2012, 6:01 pm

Hi, this ride is from Montana to New Mexico on the continental divide. The ride is single track to pavement, but lots of back country. If you are really interested i can send a link, from others that have done this ride with great detail and pics. If you know of others that would be up to this ride post up and let us know. I thought there might be some on this site that might be interested, at least i hope so. Thanks ttrider.........
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

PostSubject: Re: Room for 3 more   11/2/2012, 6:00 pm

I would be into something like that.. site link?
Back to top Go down
ttrider

PostSubject: Re: Room for 3 more   11/5/2012, 1:12 am

Motorcycling The Great Divide
America The Beautiful
With Kevin Naser and Jim Lamm

This adventure was based on the book "Cycling the Great Divide" by Michael McCoy. A few years back, Mr. McCoy mapped a bicycle route from Rooseville Montana (at the US/Canada border) to Antelope Wells New Mexico (at the US/Mexico border). His book includes maps and a detailed description of the route, laid out in a 62 day schedule for mountain bicycles. The book, which is still in print and readily available, is all you really need to do this ride, on a bicycle or motorcycle. If you're traveling by motorcycle, a GPS is also advisable since you are moving quite a bit faster than a bicycle would be, and you won't want to be stopping to look at maps every few miles. GPS files based on Mr. McCoy's book are available for free on the Adventure Cycling Association's Website, and they also sell maps of the routes. Several people have also modified the GPS routes specifically for dual-sport motorcycles. If you want details just email me, I can send you what I used and I can point you to others who can also help.
The route is about 2600 miles long and we crossed the Continental Divide of the United States 27 times. It's about 80% dirt, the rest of the time you are on asphalt or concrete just trying to get to the next section of dirt. The dirt varies from moderately technical single track, to gentle double track, to hard and fast gravel or sand. We took ten days to do it, two weeks or more would be even better. There are plenty of places to camp along the way, both in public campgrounds and, if you don't mind primitive camping, quite often you could just pitch your tent along the trail. There only a few places where gas is a worry, I think I went about 260 miles between fill-ups a couple of times.
I did the ride on a 2001 Triumph Tiger, and Jim was riding a Suzuki DRZ400. As you can see, a wide range of motorcycles can be adapted for this ride. The 300 mile range of the Triumph Tiger was nice to have, and the fuel injection was also good, due to the large elevation changes encountered. Other than that, either bike was fine, you could do it on about any dual-sport motorcycle. The Tiger was a bit large for much of this route, and a bit short on ground clearance, but despite the short-comings we made it through and had a blast doing it. Adversity is the root of adventure. I don't regret taking the Tiger and I would do it again in a minute. That being said, my advise to you is that the ideal motorcycle for this route would be a large single cylinder dual-sport such as a Kawasaki KLR650, BMW F650, Husky 610, KTM 640, etc., with suitable modifications.
The thought that I want to leave you with is that this is truly the America the Beautiful ride. You don't know how pretty America is until you see some of these places. In that respect, it is fitting that our little adventure began on Independence Day. I will also say that it will be better done sooner than later. Wilderness land in the USA is being bought up and developed at an alarming rate. It has become popular with America's well-to-do to buy a piece of wilderness and build a large "log" home on it. Baby-boomers are retiring from California, selling their $1.5 million homes and moving to Idaho. Phoenix is spilling it's gut's all the way over to New Mexico. My advise, go now, see it while you can.
Now enjoy the photographs that Jim and I took. When you are finished, drop me a line, let me know what you think, and let me know where you have been. As you mouse over the pictures a latitude and longitude will appear next to your pointer. These are the closest navigational coordinates that I had, in most cases they are accurate, in some cases they are an estimate. If you need accurate navigation information, email me.
Enjoy.

Click to Continue
Try this out let me know if it works ( what I sent you ), let me know if you are still interested...
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

PostSubject: Re: Room for 3 more   11/5/2012, 9:11 am

you had me until you said "Triump Tiger". Rolling Eyes

have fun. I wouldn't consider "moderately technical singletrack" doable on a 400+lb bike.

Sounds like fun but I want some serious singletrack if I am going that far . Looks like a fun ride for when I get a big ADV bike again

Last edited by n16ht5 on 11/6/2012, 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Room for 3 more   11/5/2012, 11:14 am

Sounds like a blast. If I had the gear I would do it.

(other than the logistics of start and finish..LOL)
Back to top Go down
ttrider

PostSubject: Re: Room for 3 more   11/12/2012, 1:43 pm

Hi again; yes this trip is not for everyone. Only a few will be able to have the time to do this ride maybe 2 weeks, or be willing to comit this far ahead of time , but it's time to start planning and getting the people together. The trip you read about was not done by me, or written by me, so a technical ride by someone's standard may not be the same as someone elses. That being said this will be exciting and an adventurous ride along with seeing country by bike that most people never will see. If someone becomes serious about this ride, do let us know before too long. Thanks for checking it out.........
Back to top Go down
craig2211

Bike : 2016 KTM 500 EXC 6-days

PostSubject:    11/14/2012, 6:20 pm

So what kind of bikes do you plan on riding ? I have thought about doing this trip myself next year, but everything i read about this trip shows me its a big bike trip, not saying you couldn't do it on a smaller bike. i just dont want to set on a single cylinder bike going up and down forest roads and 2 track. So depending on your choice of machine, i might be in.
Back to top Go down
ttrider

PostSubject: Re: Room for 3 more   11/15/2012, 6:43 pm

Hi; well I don't know what bike you have, but you might have read that one guy in the story had a 400 suzuki and that bike worked fine. The other one was seemingly a little to roadworthy (too low and rather heavy). I plan on taking a honda xr 650L. This is a ride that one should enjoy the scenery,as you most likely will never see most of it again, that being said, I would expect not to do this ride @ 75 mph. Let me know what you think and we can talk...
Back to top Go down
danodemotoman

Bike : KLR650/DRZ400S

PostSubject: Re: Room for 3 more   12/9/2012, 11:14 am

I sure would like to join the ride! I am 'semi-retired' so the timeing isn't the main issue!

I am new to this forum.

Long time rider. Mostly ride the '08 KLR650 for ADV and have done east and west OBDR's and section 2 of the WABDR this summer. Many others like the Copper Canyon, Moab, etc.

Old but experienced. Newer was fast. Known on many forums under same username. Can keep the pace all day as required.

Ride the DRZ400S for a lighter machine, also sport tour on the old Connie.
Back to top Go down
ttrider

PostSubject: Re: Room for 3 more   12/16/2012, 11:01 am

Room for more is shrinking...but still room for one or two, especially if you have a friend you want to team with.
Back to top Go down
danodemotoman

Bike : KLR650/DRZ400S

PostSubject: Re: Room for 3 more   12/16/2012, 2:03 pm

Tim,

Enjoyed the ph call the other day about this adv ride.

Looking fwd to further planning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Room for 3 more   

Back to top Go down

Room for 3 more
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PNWDS - PNWDualSport :: Ride Related :: Upcoming Rides/Meet Ups-
Jump to: