PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

I drink the RED punch

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: I drink the RED punch   2/24/2009, 10:43 pm

coolaid
Here is a pic of my BRP, affectionately known as the Mistress...
You know, the one that keeps you company on those long lonely winter nights... In the garage! poser

Purchased used in the spring of 2007 after nearly 6 years of watching everyone else drink the RED punch (coolaid, whatever). First time I owned my own bike in nearly twenty years. Test rode a couple bikes early on but never pulled the trigger. Rode friend's bikes now and then to keep the dream alive. A busy job and two new kids will do that to a man's soul, but in a good way. First rode it on short trips, to work a few times, forest roads and my own little A-loop around the property.

I guess I wanted to see if it would kill me after not having my own bike for almost 20 years. When the wife said "you need a hobby" it all came back, and I didn't kill myself. Spent it's first winter with me in pieces. Wanted to make sure the XRR "must do list" was complete. It was a good way to get through winter last year.

Work became a grind, but in spring of 2008 started riding the bike to work and finally did a 100+ mile day ride on ATV trails, forest rodes and asphalt connecting roads. What a dream.

So here it is, might not be the farkliest thing, the cleanest or the best kept but it's mine. Ready to ride.

2001 XR650R plated
Uncorked w/spark arrestor insert (I sure wish it had the USFS stamp, grrrrr)
Acerbis supertanker
Barnum's suspension front and rear (for my fat arse, and best upgrade ever!)
Magellan Roadmate 2200T converted to crossover GPS (bought a refurb and upgraded firmware)
Custom Polypropylene GPS cross bar mounting system (tie straps)
Gripper seat cover
Borrego rack
Renthal 666 bars (not a joke, the devil made me do it...)
Custom Moose barkbusters TBD (that means they would not fit and I beat them into submission and they still don't fit cause of the crossbar)
Tusk hand guards TBD (the dog ate one of them but I might use it just for "character")
Upgraded headlight optics (glass unit from Stanley, I think they used to be stock on Honda three wheelers. Made a big dif with the stock lamp)
Tail bag (junk in my trunk)
Old Excel DOT gold rims front and rear (OMG that is a story! Laced and trued with tent stakes, a straw and duct tape... no shit!)
Excel heavy duty spoke sets front and rear (drilled rims, laced and trued myself... about 7 or 8 times before it was right...)
Pirelli heavy duty rubber tubes/strips
Pirelli MT21's front and rear (I still need to practice tire changes, I boogered the front rim getting them off and whimped out and had the new one's mounted for me).
Good 'ole boy dual sport kit - rear brake switch/stock light, plated, velcro bar end mirror, velcro bicycle horn, GPS used as speedo
got some bar risers too but gonna need longer cables for that mod.

Back to top Go down
XCR500Rider

PostSubject: Re: I drink the RED punch   2/25/2009, 6:51 am

Nice bike man.
Back to top Go down
griz901

PostSubject: My sentiment, exactly...   2/25/2009, 8:35 am

Nice!

"Twenty years from now you will be more
disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the
trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

later,

griz
Back to top Go down
Backwoods Boogie

Bike : XR650R - Concours 14

PostSubject: Re: I drink the RED punch   2/25/2009, 9:00 am

griz901 wrote:
When the wife said "you need a hobby"

That is the "green light " that every man loves to hear... thumb

XR650R

Back to top Go down
XCR500Rider

PostSubject: Re: I drink the RED punch   2/25/2009, 10:33 am

Backwoods Boogie wrote:
griz901 wrote:
When the wife said "you need a hobby"

That is the "green light " that every man loves to hear... thumb

No Kidding! If it wasn't for my wife I wouldn't have bought my XRL! I'm glad she talked me into it.
Back to top Go down
griz901

PostSubject: Same-O Same-O   1/17/2010, 3:44 pm

Still looks the same a year later! Just thought I'd keep my post count up this winter

griz901 wrote:
coolaid
Here is a pic of my BRP, affectionately known as the Mistress...
You know, the one that keeps you company on those long lonely winter nights... In the garage! poser

Purchased used in the spring of 2007 after nearly 6 years of watching everyone else drink the RED punch (coolaid, whatever). First time I owned my own bike in nearly twenty years. Test rode a couple bikes early on but never pulled the trigger. Rode friend's bikes now and then to keep the dream alive. A busy job and two new kids will do that to a man's soul, but in a good way. First rode it on short trips, to work a few times, forest roads and my own little A-loop around the property.

I guess I wanted to see if it would kill me after not having my own bike for almost 20 years. When the wife said "you need a hobby" it all came back, and I didn't kill myself. Spent it's first winter with me in pieces. Wanted to make sure the XRR "must do list" was complete. It was a good way to get through winter last year.

Work became a grind, but in spring of 2008 started riding the bike to work and finally did a 100+ mile day ride on ATV trails, forest rodes and asphalt connecting roads. What a dream.

So here it is, might not be the farkliest thing, the cleanest or the best kept but it's mine. Ready to ride.

2001 XR650R plated
Uncorked w/spark arrestor insert (I sure wish it had the USFS stamp, grrrrr)
Acerbis supertanker
Barnum's suspension front and rear (for my fat arse, and best upgrade ever!)
Magellan Roadmate 2200T converted to crossover GPS (bought a refurb and upgraded firmware)
Custom Polypropylene GPS cross bar mounting system (tie straps)
Gripper seat cover
Borrego rack
Renthal 666 bars (not a joke, the devil made me do it...)
Custom Moose barkbusters TBD (that means they would not fit and I beat them into submission and they still don't fit cause of the crossbar)
Tusk hand guards TBD (the dog ate one of them but I might use it just for "character")
Upgraded headlight optics (glass unit from Stanley, I think they used to be stock on Honda three wheelers. Made a big dif with the stock lamp)
Tail bag (junk in my trunk)
Old Excel DOT gold rims front and rear (OMG that is a story! Laced and trued with tent stakes, a straw and duct tape... no shit!)
Excel heavy duty spoke sets front and rear (drilled rims, laced and trued myself... about 7 or 8 times before it was right...)
Pirelli heavy duty rubber tubes/strips
Pirelli MT21's front and rear (I still need to practice tire changes, I boogered the front rim getting them off and whimped out and had the new one's mounted for me).
Good 'ole boy dual sport kit - rear brake switch/stock light, plated, velcro bar end mirror, velcro bicycle horn, GPS used as speedo
got some bar risers too but gonna need longer cables for that mod.

Back to top Go down
big jer

Bike : XR650L , 990KTM

PostSubject: i drink the red punch   1/17/2010, 5:52 pm

i also drink the red punch, only mine is the L model, bikes are very dependable, simple to work on, an reasonably priced. what more could a guy ask for! i see your from columbia falls, got a brother that lived in kalispell,[ kila actually ]for about 20 years. he moved to ketchican alaska in july, but i still have 3 neices in kalispall. rode my bike and snowmobile all over that country over the years, and spent many nights at scotty's bar, mooses saloon, an the list goes on.LOL
Back to top Go down
griz901

PostSubject: Hoorah!! (did I spell that right?)   1/20/2010, 9:03 pm

It is a small world, that's for sure!

big jer wrote:
i also drink the red punch, only mine is the L model, bikes are very dependable, simple to work on, an reasonably priced. what more could a guy ask for! i see your from columbia falls, got a brother that lived in kalispell,[ kila actually ]for about 20 years. he moved to ketchican alaska in july, but i still have 3 neices in kalispall. rode my bike and snowmobile all over that country over the years, and spent many nights at scotty's bar, mooses saloon, an the list goes on.LOL

Cool deal,
Yah, I've got four years on the Blue Moon and Bandit Saloon end of the valley. Spent a year on the Silver Bullet side of the valley, first two years were up the street from the Rainbow in Evergreen. Tough neighborhood but a few years later I got a couple Evergreen Specials, sisters actually. Best two dogs I ever had. Used to eat lunch a lot at Moose's and Barley's, now I'm a Mike's Conoco burger or fried "stuff" guy. Still prefer Cislos for breakfast over the Night Owl, and the waitresses at Nickel Charlies are so friendly it makes me feel uncomfortable. Fender's was my all time favorite for their Sunday night fried chicken family meals but they've been gone a long time now. And I never miss the fourth of July parade in Polebridge!
Later
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

PostSubject: Re: I drink the RED punch   6/1/2010, 10:23 pm

I really like your bike! If i got anything bigger, it would be something just like yours
Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
griz901

PostSubject: Re: I drink the RED punch   6/2/2010, 6:54 am

n16ht5 wrote:
I really like your bike! If i got anything bigger, it would be something just like yours

Thanks for the compliment , as Forest Gump would say: "I like it a lot..." LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I drink the RED punch   

Back to top Go down

I drink the RED punch
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PNWDS - PNWDualSport :: Main :: Members Rides-
Jump to: