PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

My Christini 450 AWD

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PeteN95

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: My Christini 450 AWD   3/20/2012, 11:43 am

Posted this on another thread in general bike discussion, but figured I would start my own. Here is a pic of my new Christini 450 DS AWD from Tasky's in Everet, WA. It's based on a "replica" CRF450X built by Asia Wing in China, who makes small bikes under contract with Honda and has been given the rights to the design as I've been told. Christini has made conversion kits, but this is their first complete bike.

Unfortunately I haven't really ridden it much, although I've had it for 3 weeks, too busy! I like the idea that a lot of my parts from my CRF450 will fit, like the Rekluse rear hand brake, oil filters, sprockets, and even the Supermoto wheels, although I need a special front hub. I did find one difference when trying to install a Rekluse Z-start Pro clutch, the clutch shaft is 1mm larger, although it has the same number and size of splines?!? Hopefully the Rekluse EXP clutch will work as it doesn't change the center hub.

The forks are Paiolis made in Italy and are very nice with full adjustments including pre-load!? The rear shock looks like a standard CRF shock with high and low speed compression and rebound adjusters, but there are only 9 clicks of rebound and it is still very stiff on full soft? The springs seem stiffer than usual and about right for my 220lbs judging by setting the sag. Hopefully have some ride reports by this weekend.
Back to top Go down
PeteN95

PostSubject: Re: My Christini 450 AWD   3/29/2012, 8:54 am

Got my first chance to ride it off road last weekend. The bike worked great, made it all the way to the top of Pat's trail at Walker. About the top 25% was about 6" of melting, heavy snow churned up by 4x4 quads, but the Christini mowed through it, no problem. Even with 15psi in the 50/50 dual sport tires, it easily climbed up the steep switchback trail with rocks, roots and a snow topping.

At the top I rode a ways up the fire road, which was about 10" deep in the untracked parts. It was actually easier to cut throught the untracked snow than trying to follow the quad tracks, which were hard to stay centered in and caused the bike to wag. The bike would spin both tires and just motor through the deep, heavy snow, but it did cause the steering to feel very stiff, like you turned the damper all the way up. Not sure if it was the snow or AWD or both?

The bike felt pretty normal otherwise on the average trails, but a little stiff. I need to adjust the suspension a little more and it is probably still breaking in too. It does have slightly less steering lock than my CRF, but I really didn't motice it much. The drive ration, 64% under drive to the front, seems a little low? It allowed quite a bit of sideways drifting before the front pulled it backwhen flat tracking on Peter Burns road. I think some adjustment there will also make it better, maybe about 75-80%?

Hopefully I will have my Rekluse clutch and hand brake for the next ride. It was weird having to operate a clutch and using my foot to engage the rear brake?!? Some more suspension adjustments should also smooth things out. More to come!
Back to top Go down
PeteN95

PostSubject: Re: My Christini 450 AWD   4/27/2012, 9:20 am

I got the Rekluse EXP clutch installed w/o a lever, which took a little doing as they are intended to keep the lever. I also got the rear hand brake and tall bars and hand guards on. SO I decided to try the Kilted Duck Scotch Trials at Walker Valley. It was brutal! But thanks mostly to the Christini, I survived.

It was basically a poker run through some of the ugliest trails at Walker, which is saying something, with some "special tests" thrown in. These were short loops though virgin forest, stumps, logs, mud, holes, rocks, etc. You were timed and dabs (touching your foot down) were counted. I discovered I am no trials rider! But the Christini performed great, even though the clutch needs some fine tuning and the stock carburetion is very lean.

Even with the stock 50/50 DS tires, it pulled me through all the nasty obstacles. I can't imagine what it will be like with good tires?! I did manage to get it slightly stuck once, but it was cool to look down and see both wheels spinning. Looking forward to getting an FCR carb and a pipe for a little more power and snap. Also need to do more suspension tuning, but it was much better with the clickers nearly all the way out.
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

PostSubject: Re: My Christini 450 AWD   4/27/2012, 11:45 am

Pics????? I think I saw guns shot one of you..? When are we goin riding? Want to go next wed?
Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
PeteN95

PostSubject: Re: My Christini 450 AWD   4/30/2012, 3:04 pm

I was so beat from Weber's trail, I didn't even ride the special test Guns was working on. I'd like to go, but I will be out of town until next week.
Back to top Go down
RENO

Bike : 07 KLR 650 2012 Cristini AWD 450DS

PostSubject: Re: My Christini 450 AWD   5/3/2012, 8:13 pm

nice, i havent tried snow but odessa ironman was a sinch. didnt lay it down once. been doing tahuya with mine recently and tires make the grip incredible. followed a friend of mine his wr250 and got a good shot of him crashing. broke his wrist so now i have to find a new partner when my bro wimps out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO5Ay50GVvA&feature=g-all-u i did bend the radiator a little so i am instaling a better guard this weekend and since we have less volume in the tank than a crf, i found saddle tank for it that holds 1.5 gal. http://justgastanks.com/product_info.php?products_id=949 do you think the recluse is worth the effort? uncorking is next on the list when i get a little more OT. lol
Back to top Go down
Inconceivable

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC

PostSubject: Re: My Christini 450 AWD   5/4/2012, 8:44 am

Watched the crash. I have armor in my jacket on the arms but there is nothing you can really do for wrist protection. I have a healthy respect for roots, loose rocks and then throw wet conditions in the mix for the perfect storm (maybe even a little tired there at the end) .

Let your friend know that when I broke my left wrist it healed up stronger than my right (I am right handed) go figure:scratch:
Back to top Go down
PeteN95

PostSubject: Re: My Christini 450 AWD   5/9/2012, 6:56 pm

RENO wrote:
i did bend the radiator a little so i am instaling a better guard this weekend and since we have less volume in the tank than a crf, i found saddle tank for it that holds 1.5 gal. http://justgastanks.com/product_info.php?products_id=949 do you think the recluse is worth the effort? uncorking is next on the list when i get a little more OT. lol

I got some CRFX radiator braces off Ebay for $45. Not sure what you mean about not having as much fuel volume as a CRF? The 450X only holds 2.3, while our Christinis hold 2.9g!? The Rekluse clutch is definitely worth it in my opinion, but I've been riding with one for 10 years. I just scored a nearly new Lexx slip on off Ebay for a 450X for $90 shipped! Still looking for an FCR carb and CRF cam.
Back to top Go down
RENO

PostSubject: Re: My Christini 450 AWD   5/9/2012, 8:38 pm

2.2 gal guess not that much diff. still makes me feel a little better with the extra gas. fits like a glove though
Back to top Go down
PeteN95

PostSubject: Re: My Christini 450 AWD   8/15/2012, 3:17 pm

I got the CRF450R carb and slip on pipe mounted last weekend, what a difference! It used to be a chore to wheelie in 2nd, now easy 3rd gear! Got the Supermoto set up installed too, pics to follow. big
Back to top Go down
RENO

PostSubject: Re: My Christini 450 AWD   8/15/2012, 3:48 pm

nice, how much did you have to give for the carb. i put a 3brothers pipe on and it helped with the giddy up but found the carb to be crap. cant even jet it. ohh and i did destroy the tranny and its been at Taskys for nearly a month waiting on a new engine.
Back to top Go down
PeteN95

PostSubject: Re: My Christini 450 AWD   8/23/2012, 2:25 pm

Sorry to hear about your tranny/motor! I got my '03 CRF450R FCR 40mm carb off Ebay for $150 and it was worth every penny! It really brought the bike to life. I am still planning to put a CRF450R cam in also. Here is the bike with the Supermoto set up at a local bike night:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Christini 450 AWD   

Back to top Go down

My Christini 450 AWD
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PNWDS - PNWDualSport :: Main :: Members Rides-
Jump to: