PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Currently: Best GPS for DS riding

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KTM Kirkland

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion

PostSubject: Currently: Best GPS for DS riding   10/25/2011, 9:46 am

Probably like askin' who your favorite supermodel is Cool - but what make & model GPS is currently *the* choice for DS riding?
Back to top Go down
Enduroguy

Bike : 08 KTM 530 EXC-R

PostSubject: Re: Currently: Best GPS for DS riding   10/31/2011, 6:49 am

I like my Garmin 60CSx, small screen but sure is tough, water proof and accurate. Ram mount works great but make sure the brake line don't hit it in the rough stuff or it gets knocked out of the Ram holder.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/enduroguy35
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

PostSubject: Re: Currently: Best GPS for DS riding   10/31/2011, 7:23 am

The Garmin Montana is pretty good since they have done some of the updates. Notice what picture is bigger!

Bike : BMW G450X

PostSubject: Garmin Montana!   2/17/2012, 9:09 am

The Montana I believe is the best thing there is for Dual Sport riding. Easy to read, durable and easy to load download routes. Have done extensive Dual SPort route planning with this and it just works and is easy! Scott
Back to top Go down
http://Exploreyourplanet.com
YAMAHAULER

Bike : '81 XT500H, 2005 XR650L, 83 Big Red

PostSubject: Re: Currently: Best GPS for DS riding   2/17/2012, 4:40 pm

Alessandra Ambrosio. +1
Back to top Go down
RiverRunner

Bike : Husky 511 and KTM 690r

PostSubject: Re: Currently: Best GPS for DS riding   12/25/2014, 8:29 am

Enduroguy wrote:
I like my Garmin 60CSx, small screen but sure is tough, water proof and accurate. Ram mount works great but make sure the brake line don't hit it in the rough stuff or it gets knocked out of the Ram holder.

I agree with Enduroguy on the 60CSx - that is a fine GPS that communicates easily with the Garmin Basecamp or MapSource programs.  My wife and I used the 60 series for years and had one get wet on a raft trip last fall.  Garmin used to exchange a damaged model for a new/refurbished on for like $90USD - was a great deal, but they stopped supporting the 60 series.  We are now using a 62sc and a 64s - there is a new operating system that allow both units to work alike - good for me as my wife doesn't want to take the time to learn her unit!  The screen is better resolution on the new 62/64 series and I think it has better reception - we (almost) never lose signal even in deep canyons.  You can put much bigger data cards into the 62/64 series as well so you can save a whole lot of real estate on your handheld.  The 62 has a camera that tags photos with GPS data, but the photo quality is not great - any newer phone with do a better job.

The Garmin Basecamp program on your PC or MAC is a very cool tool.  You can upload waypoints and tracks from the GPS to the computer and save for immediate or later use.  You can also make up a set of waypoints on the computer, using the big screen is much easier, then transfer to the GPS in the form of waypoints or a route.

We use Ram Mounts on our Huskies and will use Ram Mounts on the new 690R's I have on order.  We do use the lanyard cord on the handheld to tie the handheld to the base of the Ram Mount just in case they get loose - has never happened in a lot of miles, but I guess it could.

We would get very, very lost without the GPS.  The Garmin became a lot more useful after I spent some time to learn about the Garmin system and basic GPS & map and compass navigation.  Good how to books on Amazon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Currently: Best GPS for DS riding   

Back to top Go down

Currently: Best GPS for DS riding
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PNWDS - PNWDualSport :: Ride Related :: GPS-
Jump to: