PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Inntroducton

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rook

Bike : 08 KTM 530 EXC-R

PostSubject: Inntroducton   10/23/2011, 8:23 pm

New rider. Just getting into it with my kids. Bought a use '08 530 EXC. It worked great for several months.

The e-start started working less and less reliabley so I started using the kick starter more.

Today, the kick starter stopped working. I can rotate it out away from the bike but it will not rotate down (starting motion). It's lke it's frozen in place.

Am I totally screwed?

I felt like a complete dumb ass today. I have this really nice bike and I was sweating my butt off running up and down a hill trying to jump start it.

Thanks in advance for any pointers
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

PostSubject: Re: Inntroducton   10/23/2011, 9:27 pm

Rook wrote:
New rider. Just getting into it with my kids. Bought a use '08 530 EXC. It worked great for several months.

The e-start started working less and less reliabley so I started using the kick starter more.

Today, the kick starter stopped working. I can rotate it out away from the bike but it will not rotate down (starting motion). It's lke it's frozen in place.

Am I totally screwed?

I felt like a complete dumb ass today. I have this really nice bike and I was sweating my butt off running up and down a hill trying to jump start it.

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Welcome to the forum

The 530 is a excellent bike although there are a couple small issues that are easily taken care of. First since you have a 08 model you want to make sure that you have the updated cam installed. The 08's came with a "mirrored" cam shaft where the auto decompression device was assembled backwards at the factory, leaving it in a non-operable state. It can cause hard starting issues and add extra stress on the electric starter system. Article on the cam here: CLICK HERE

Second there is a known issue with the starter torque limiter slipping...allowing the engine to turn over with the electric start but not quite fast enough to actually start the engine. Here's a How-To article on fixing it: CLICK HERE

Not sure on the manual kick starter...I'd open up the side cover and take a look, good chance it's just something simple.

There are a few other need to do things like correct jetting, de-smogging etc. If you have any questions feel free to post them up and hopefully one of us can help out .

Hodakaguy

My Bike Setup List - CLICK HERE!

In Memory Of The Crewmen: CLICK HERE
Adventure is Out There NV RR:  CLICK HERE
Riding Through History NV RR:  CLICK HERE
Oregon Outback RR: CLICK HERE

Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

PostSubject: Re: Inntroducton   10/24/2011, 6:13 am

Welcome! Pop the side cover off and take a look. I did my updates.

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Inntroducton   10/24/2011, 6:26 am

Welcome, HI!
Back to top Go down
Enduroguy

PostSubject: Re: Inntroducton   10/24/2011, 7:49 am

Welcome to the Forum, did the engine turn over when you tried to bump start? Not a easy task on the 530.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/enduroguy35
Rook

PostSubject: Re: Inntroducton   10/25/2011, 5:23 pm

There is a really nice KTM mechanic about an hour from me. He suggested trying to roll in backwards while in sixth gear. Said it might un-jar something simple.

Next step is to replace the battery and get the battery tender that everyone suggested when I first got the bike.

I'm new to the DIY scene so I get nervous about doing more damage than good taking things apart on a bike this nice.

The mechanic is real cool, the first time I went to see him he offered to give me a mutli-hour tutorial on the bike and upkeep so I could do more on my own. Couldn't take him up on it at the time but I will eventually.

This forum is a great source of information. Thanks for all the comments.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inntroducton   

Back to top Go down

Inntroducton
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PNWDS - PNWDualSport :: Main :: New Members-
Jump to: